The Application Development Manager will work as part of the Enterprise Solution Delivery team under the direction of the Enterprise Solutions Senior Director of Application Development. This person is responsible for managing a team of application developers to facilitate the technical solution definition for enterprise solutions. This person will manage the day-to-day performance of subordinate staff to ensure all project and/or department milestones and/or goals are met and achieve overall company objectives. This person’s goal is to maximize the individual team members’ contribution, in order to drive the overall team forward in accomplishing IT goals. This will be done by facilitating goal setting quarterly, through frequent one on ones and team meetings, as well as any other medium the manager feels is necessary.
In addition to managing and mentoring the team, this person must collaborate with product owners to understand the business ask and provide resourcing to help them move to a desired future state. The position contributes to on-going process improvements within IT and must influence others internally and externally, including senior division executives, vendors, or regulators. This person must be effective at building and growing highly effective teams and owning/adapting processes for application development, release management, and testing. This person must have the ability to change and adapt in a fast-paced environment, as well as create and augment processes to maximize team effectiveness.
As part of the Enterprise Solution Delivery organization, this role must clearly articulate and understand business processes, goals, values, strategic roadmaps, IT capabilities, technical terms, and relative priorities. This knowledge is crucial to link corporate objectives, stakeholder vision, and delivery team deliverables.
This position requires strong analytical, problem-solving, leadership, and organizational skills, while maintaining a sense of urgency to meet individual and team deadlines and goals. This person must demonstrate leadership capabilities among peers and direct reports and can think from a strategic perspective. Excellent oral and written communication skills are needed for effective collaboration with others, both internal and external to the organization, to achieve desired results. This person should show an inquisitive nature, seek improvements, and demonstrate strong accuracy and attention to detail. Other abilities include accepting responsibility and accountability for own job and performance, demonstrating independent work behaviors, and having decision-making skills to achieve desired results.
This role uniquely oversees the generation of both internal and external documents for printing and retention. It requires a strong technical mindset around software and hardware related to document generation and enrichment. This individual will work closely with leadership to establish a long-term vision for the team as well as plan for and execute technical debt reduction and streamlined processes.
Work Experience, Education, Certification/Training Required
- Build and augment team and process to maximize team effectiveness.
- Recognizes, acquires, and retains the highest quality technical staff at appropriate levels to support customer objectives.
- Understand how to implement the company’s initiatives at a team and individual level.
- Work closely with each individual team member to develop goals that foster personal, technical, and growth development.
- Develop, implement and/or refine team metrics to continuously improve and move forward the team.
- Monitor performance, conduct performance reviews and develop/maintain development plans for each employee.
- Collaborates with Planning to mature Agile in an ITIL based service organization to increase the frequency, predictability, and quality of services delivered to our customers.
- Promote IT and Agile best practices within the department to ensure alignment with IT and Agile standards.
- Provide leadership by modeling excellence in high productivity, strong work ethic, and positive interaction with others.
- Escalate critical issues, translate them into actionable remediation plans, and oversee through to resolution.
- Successfully navigate and mitigate conflict through frequent and transparent communication.
- Ability to understand and communicate complex technical processes quickly.
- Develops or supports the annual budgeting process. Monitors expenses and provides budget management and cost control for assigned area of responsibility.
- Leads and champions consistent IT processes including change management, Software Development Life Cycle, problem management, requirements management, Quality Assurance, test management and process management.
- Creates and nurtures a work environment in which innovations and improvements in work processes and systems are encouraged and coordinated.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required in IT. Software experience preferred.
- Demonstrated senior professional level abilities in driving culture change, process management, effective tool usage, evangelizing product technologies and related application capabilities
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, negotiate, listen, mitigate conflict, build alliances and achieve results
- Minimum 2+ years demonstrated experience in corporate print streams and document generation.
- Minimum 5+ years demonstrated experience in the IT industry or support roles for IT solutions in customer facing environments in diagnosing complex support and service issues.
- Experienced in complex business process, applications, infrastructure, and their use in IT solutions
- Typically, post-secondary degree, preferably in Management Information Services, Computer Science, Math, or Business-related field will substitute for 4 years of work and/or technical experience
- Certifications in industry-related or discipline-related organizations are desirable and may substitute for some work and/or technical experience. (Organization could include Scrum Alliance, LOMA, SILA, American College, PMI, IIBA, IIST)
- Minimum of 2+ years of management experience.
- Familiarity with document generation and enrichment software. OpenText’s Exstream, Solimar’s Rubika, and Precisely’s Enrichment preferred.
- Ability to foster relationships and establish credibility quickly with people internally and externally
- Sound understanding of software development life cycle and successful management of multiple full lifecycle projects is required, Agile experience is highly preferred
- Demonstrate broad knowledge of multiple business areas, and industry to identify and communicate how IT solutions can support the achievement of short-and long-term business goals
- Leadership and negotiation skills, with driving desire and high propensity to learn quickly and develop oneself
- Ability to work with people to proactively identify and evaluate risks associated with business decisions
- Ability to communicate clearly, negotiate, listen, mitigate conflict, build alliances, and achieve desired results using strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills
- Ability to work independently, with little management direction, and within a team environment
- Able to work productively under high levels of ambiguity
- Skilled at asking questions and professionally challenging to uncover important facts and information
- Has the courage to make decisions, but also has the wisdom to know when a decision needs to be escalated
- Builds consensus among diverse groups of people; highly skilled at facilitating resolution across functions and departments
- Has the confidence to engage and work productively with business leaders
- Strong team orientation
- Other related skills and/or abilities may be required to perform this job